Home

Home

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Beginning of Change

https://conta.cc/2VsJrRz

With this newsletter comes the announcement that God is preparing our hearts for the next steps of moving to the United States. Yes, we have lived in the US before but never like we will as we move there on May 12th. We will be moving to Florida, Ft Meyers with 2 dogs, 3 children, and some years of marriage under our belt. We will also be moving with a Dominican perspective of life and customs and traditions that may not be maintainable in the US. We will have heavy hearts as we leave the place we have called home for almost 6 years. We will be entering the US with a renewed passion for the community God gives us through His people, His church, and those that do not call Him father. Josh and I will be entering this new chapter with a greater reliance on God and a stronger commitment and true enjoyment of each other. We have seen each other at our worst and our bests here in the Dominican Republic. We have made friends of all types, languages, ages, and social stature.

I don't even know how I would begin to reflect over the past 6 years. I guess one year at a time. We will see if I get inspired over the next few weeks to do that here on the blog. For now I want to take a little time to explain the journey we have been on since about November 2019. It is such a joy to review and see the ways God has clearly drawn our hearts away from this place that we will always feel holds a piece of our hearts! This mountain village - Jarabacoa; these people, and this language. The mountain of CMA will forever be imprinted in my memory.

In November, our friends Troy & Lexie explained that God was stirring in their hearts a passion for Ft Meyers, building and sharing christian community there. There were various ideas thrown around of different ways we could partner together but at this point we will just be living life in the same area! WHICH SOUNDS WONDERFUL. Let me remind you, if you don't know. Troy and Lexie have been here about 7 and a half years. We have been within walking distance all that time. Troy has been a friend, mentor, brother, boss, gym partner, prayer warrior, and just an available person to Josh during our time at CMA. Lexie and I have been pregnant together for both her babies. We have laughed together, cried together, studied scripture together, challenged each other, enjoyed playdates and ladies nights together. I can't imagine life without this family but always thought we would someday be apart. When they presented their ideas, Josh was drawn to the opportunities in the town of Fort Meyers also, specifically Cape Coral. We began to pray over this and talk with each other, a few friends and family, and continually with the Lord. We came to the same place of peace that this is the time to transition. We began talking seriously with our boss and our closest friends. In January, it was announced officially that Josh would be leaving his position and just this past week CMA was able to find someone to step-in and begin training.

What does transition look like for our family?
In this season, we are enjoying every moment we can. We are transitioned to a furnished house off campus. This allowed us to finish with packing and organizing. I realized the packing part was not fun. I am a person that wants my house to be a safe place for me and anyone that enters. When my mind is fixed on packing and organizing and purging, it is not a safe place. March 1 we moved into a house off campus that we are able to create and support community in. We are able to continue to connect with those around us in very intentional ways. Our friend and partner in crime, Angi and her family are over most days along with friends from CMA and Jarabacoa. Angie continues to help me with things day in and day out, and learning even more about Dominican life (foods and how to buy just the things I need from the colmado up the street). We are working out in the mornings and I am really trying to notice the things I want to maintain for my own mental health as we transition to a new normal.

This transition has reminded me that change can be as good as what familiar is (many times I don't believe I can enjoy anything more than what I am currently during which can push me to avoid change). At times, I just want to stand still and wait for other things to change. I don't want to be any part of the change in fear that I would not enjoy the new normal as much. This small adjustment to a new house has come with so many blessings. I am thankful God gave us this idea and a perfect home in a perfect location for the next 2 months.

We will been in the house in town through April; then in May we will live with Angi and her family for 2 weeks. We fly to Florida on May 12.

We will continue to collect support from those that are willing to support (one-time gifts and re-occurring gifts) through July. As we have talked with other missionaries, there are many expenses that pop up as we create a new life in Florida as I am sure you are all aware. We will be selling most our stuff here and boarding the plan with about 4 totes (full of a few kitchen items, tools, and clothes). We don't have any solid plans of housing or jobs at this time. We are confident God will continue to open those doors in His timing as He has done with so many other details over the past few months.

Well this is a short update but also long. I will try to do a few more updates on the blog and then one more newsletter in April.

Happy Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment